I have posted on the benefits of Bentonite clay for your skin and for your teeth. I believe that Bentonite clay needs it’s own post because it is extremely beneficial when taken internally as well. Throughout history people across different cultures have used Bentonite clay to increase their nutrients and to help them get rid of any toxins within their bodies. As I mentioned in my post about DIY face masks:
“Bentonite Clay is an amazing clay and is considered “healing clay”. It is an excellent detoxifier of the body when taken internally and helps to defend different illnesses. Bentonite clay is composed of ash made from volcanos. The largest source of bentonite clay is found in Fort Benton, Wyoming where there are numerous volcanos present.”
How Bentonite clay works
We come into contact with a lot of different toxins on a daily basis. From cleaning supplies and pesticides to eating an unhealthy diet filled with processed foods. Bentonite clay is beneficial for your body because it helps to remove these toxins, increase immunity and help to reduce inflammation. In addition to being able to draw out many toxins from the body, the clay also has a large range of nutrients that are extremely beneficial for your body. Some of those beneficial minerals are, calcium, magnesium, silica, sodium, copper, iron and potassium. When you ingest Bentonite Clay its vitamins and minerals are absorbed just like a supplement would be. Many people choose to take Bentonite Clay as a supplement because it is natural from the earth and not manufactured in a lab.
This “healing clay” will absorb impurities within your body such as toxins or heavy metals. According to Mountain Rose Herbs:
Bentonite is very unusual in the fact that once it becomes hydrated, the electrical and molecular components of the clay rapidly change and produce an “electrical charge”… When it becomes mixed with water it rapidly swells open like a highly porous sponge. From here the toxins are drawn into the sponge through electrical attraction and once there, they are bound.
Benefits and uses of Bentonite Clay are:
- Bentonite clay allows cells to receive more oxygen because the clay will pull the excess hydrogen from the cells leaving room for more oxygen.
- Bentonite clay helps to Alkalize the body by helping to balance out the pH level within our bodies.
- Bentonite clay also helps to boost probiotics by helping the “good bacteria” living within your gut wall and decreasing the amount of harmful “bad bacteria” by removing them from your body.
- Bentonite clay is excellent for relieving digestive problems such as constipation and IBS. Due to the clays ability to neutralize the bacteria within your gut, this will usually alleviate many digestive problems you may have.
- As I mentioned in my last post on tooth powder. Bentonite clay is excellent in improving the health of your teeth and gums. The clay will bind to any harmful toxins and bacteria within your mouth and remove them before they are swallowed.
- When used on the skin Bentonite Clay can heal Eczema, Dermatitis, Psoriasis, or just purify your skin and pores. Bentonite Clay does this by binding to the bacteria and toxins living on the surface of the skin and also within the pores and removes them.
*check out my post on DIY face masks DIY Natural Face Masks
How to start using Bentonite clay as a supplement
I mix 1/2 to 1 tsp of clay with water and shake it in a container, that has no metal, until the clay dissolves. Drink it right away. (always remember to start out small and work your way up to a larger dose)
You can take Bentonite clay once per day for as many days as you would like. I personally take bentonite clay in the evening because you should wait at least 2 hrs after taking bentonite clay to take any medications or vitamins/supplements and you should also wait a bit to eat so that it is more effective. Therefore, I have found it easiest and most beneficial to dink the Bentonite mix in the evening.
*Remember that Bentonite clay has an an electrical charge and when it comes in contact with water, the clay rapidly swells so that it can remove any toxins. Because of this electrical charge if it comes into contact with metal it becomes less effective. You should never stir it with a metal spoon or keep it in a metal container.